Overcoming an addiction to opioids requires support and treatment for both the physical and emotional aspects of this insidious disorder. At Discovery House Comprehensive Treatment Centers of Rhode Island we understand how challenging it can be to break free from the chains of addiction, and we are proud to offer comprehensive services for adult men and women who desire to live a drug-free life.
One of the essential components of treatment at Discovery House Comprehensive Treatment Centers of Rhode Island is group therapy, which provides patients with a safe and structured environment in which they can work through the behavioral, emotional, and psychological aspects of their addictive behaviors.
Group therapy brings together multiple patients within a single session that is typically led by one or two experienced therapists. The professional or professionals who lead group sessions facilitate healthy discussions about a variety of topics that relate to the disease of addiction and the process of recovery. During group sessions, participants have the opportunity to share their own insights, learn from the experiences of others, and practice healthy interpersonal communication skills.
Many individuals become addicted to opioids after experiencing trauma, abuse, stress, self-esteem issues, and/or mood disorders. Group therapy allows patients the ability to safely address these and other issues in order to properly prepare for a substance-free future.
At Discovery House Comprehensive Treatment Centers of Rhode Island , group therapy sessions help participants achieve the following objectives:
- Universality – Removing feelings of isolation between group members by focusing on the commonality of emotions and experiences between individuals
- Self-understanding – Gaining insight into one’s own challenges by listening to others openly communicate their accomplishments as well as setbacks
- Interpersonal learning – Learning from the experiences of other group members, especially when it comes to the ability to openly share one’s own insights
- Altruism – Realizing the importance of helping over group members progress in recovery
- Hope – Coming to terms with the fact that other members of the group may have overcome challenges that one may currently be working through
- Information – Learning more about the disease of addiction as well the recovery process
- Imitative behavior – Developing new viewpoints and coping techniques by observing the positive actions of one’s counselor as well as other group members
- Cohesiveness – Feeling a sense of belonging by sharing the therapeutic process with others
- Catharsis – Learning to forgive one’s feelings of shame and guilt by openly sharing experiences and emotions with other group members
There is no single cure for an addiction to opioids. However, taking part in comprehensive treatment provides patients with the education, treatment, and compassion that are required in order to successfully lay the groundwork for lasting recovery to occur.
If you or someone that you love is battling an addiction to these powerful substances, please reach out to Discovery House Comprehensive Treatment Centers of Rhode Island today. We are here to provide you with the highest quality of individualized care available to assist you in progressing towards a life free from addiction.